Traffic Plan for St. Joseph School
Driveway Access and Student Drop-off and Pick-up Locations
For the safety of school children and to minimize backup of parent traffic, especially in the morning, traffic engineers from SSOE, INC. and representatives from St. Joseph Parish and Sylvania Schools Bus Transportation developed a comprehensive plan.
- Entrance to the school grounds exists at two locations:
- East Side of Main Street. The entrance to this parking lot is the north driveway off Main Street. This driveway is north of the traffic signal. Drivers with students in the elementary building will upon entering the north driveway turn right. The driver will proceed to the K – 5 student drop-off zone. Students will leave their cars, walk from the drop-off zone to the crossing light, and cross Main Street with the assistance of the adult crossing guard. The guard will be at the crossing light from 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. At that point, drivers that are returning to the north must turn left twice (inside the parking lot) and proceed back to the north driveway. If you have a middle school student to also drop off, you should proceed to the middle school drop-off zone by turning left inside the parking lot (after dropping off elementary students) and continuing to the middle school drop off zone. Proceed to the north driveway if you are returning to the north.
If you have only a middle school student to drop off, enter the north driveway, proceed to the fourth aisle and turn right. Loop back north to the middle school drop-off zone on the far east side of the parking lot.
Any driver needing to proceed south on Main Street will be allowed to turn left at the traffic signal. However, you will need to yield to buses using this signal as well.
- West Side of Main Street. For parent drivers with K – 5 students, the entrance drive will be the first drive south of the church. Parents may still drop off or pick up students from that location but they must escort them to the painted crosswalk area near the main doors of the elementary building.
- The Bus Lane for the middle school is on the east side of Main Street. No parent drop off or pick up will be allowed in this Bus Lane. It is for buses only.
- The driveway on the east side of Main Street (middle school side), at the traffic signal, will be exit only. Right or left turns into this driveway from Main Street will not be allowed. Drivers will be allowed to turn left only out of this driveway. They can use the traffic signal southbound. Right turns are not permitted from this driveway for the safety of children who will be using the crosswalk. If you are returning to the north, you must use the north driveway in order to turn right (north).
- The school driveway on the west side of Main Street (between the church and the school) will be used for buses only both before and after school. No cars will be allowed in this driveway while buses are present. In the morning the driveway will be open only to bus traffic from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Car traffic will not be allowed during that time. At the close of the school day, the driveway will be closed to car traffic from 2:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. (or until buses leave the lot).
- In the morning, buses will drop off middle school students first, using the bus lane off Main Street. The buses will then turn left at the parking lot and go across Main Street at the light. They will drop off elementary students at the doors of the elementary building. Parking in the lot between the church and the school will be restricted, as posted.
- In the afternoon, buses will pick up students at the middle school first, and then the students at the elementary building. Again no car traffic will be allowed in the elementary school parking lot between 2:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. Parent drivers need to park in the east lot and cross at the light to meet their children as they exit school